Sparrow Health System
MT, MLT, MLS, CLS
Positions Location: St. Johns, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Is responsible for providing medical staff or other qualified persons with accurate timely laboratory test results. Must be capable of performing a wide variety of complex clinical laboratory tests and procedures, according to established standards; maintains and/or calibrates highly scientific equipment; assists in documenting, compiling, and distribution of Quality Control Material.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Performs accurate and timely assays in the following areas of the laboratory: hematology, coagulation, serology, urinalysis, chemistry, blood bank, and microbiology. In each of these areas, the generation of a laboratory value is the result of following a strict protocol, which is outlined in the procedure manuals.
- Is responsible for performing quality control measures and calibrations as prescribed in the various procedure manuals. This should include performance, documentation, corrective measures if indicated, and processing of the data.
- Should be proficient in operating the computer system within the laboratory. This should include order entry, resulting, releasing of results and generation of the hard copy laboratory report.
- Obtains laboratory specimens from patients. This includes instructing and collecting various body fluids, including blood specimens obtained both from veins and from artery collections.
- Identifies and correctly labels various laboratory specimens.
- Maintains and ensures correct function of each machine within the laboratory.
- Assists in training of new associates.
- Collects legal specimens and testifies in court as deemed by subpoena.
- Unpacks, dates and correctly stores laboratory supplies as they arrive.
- Notifies doctors or their designees of critical values immediately when they arise.
- Prepares various reagents as needed. These reagents must be properly prepared, dated, and stored as needed.
- Must be aware of department and hospital policies, either by attending department meetings, reading the minutes, or review of hospital and department policy and procedure manuals.
|General Requirements||* Must have a nationally recognized certification or be eligible for a certification for a MLT. If not certified, certification must be received within 12 months of hire.|
|Work Experience||* None * Preferred - MLT experience.|
|Education||* Associate's degree in an MLT program.|
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||* An in-depth knowledge of laboratory medicine. * Must be flexible to work varied shifts when needed and be able to take call as needed. * Excellent communication skills. * Able to work independently. * Excellent troubleshooting skills. * Able to multi-task.|
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.JOB REQUIREMENTS: <img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://sparrowhealthsystem.contacthr.com/123270725.jpg /> To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: https://sparrowhealthsystem.contacthr.com/123270725
Employment/Position Type:Part Time
Share On :